WestCoast ADR Law Group
The lawyers, mediators, arbitrators and staff of West Coast ADR Law Group believe that alternative dispute resolution (ADR) is much better suited to family law disputes than litigation, and have worked to make it a more commonly used approach for separating couples in Vancouver, Surrey, New Westminster and other nearby areas.
West Coast ADR Law Group was established by Carol W. Hickman, Q.C., to assist parties going through separation and divorce to find solutions outside of the court system that are mutually beneficial. Carol has practiced family law for over 25 years and is a skilled litigator having experience in all levels of court, including the British Columbia Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada. Our lawyers, mediators and arbitrators have seen firsthand the kind of damage done to families in the court system.
Wanting a better approach for her clients, Carol began working as a mediator and collaborative family lawyer over 15 years ago. She has advocated to encourage a healthier approach to family breakdown in British Columbia’s family law system. In 2012, Carol founded West Coast ADR Law Group, and in 2014 obtained her Master of Laws (ADR) from Osgoode Hall Law School.
We have experience dealing with all issues related to separation and divorce, including property division, custody, guardianship and support.
- Helping parties resolve their family law disputes outside of the courtroom
- Shifting perceptions around the separation and divorce process to one that is cooperative, respectful and solutions-oriented
- Assisting parties to communicate effectively to find a positive outcome.
- We are professional, respectful and trustworthy As part of our commitment to make ADR accessible for our clients, we have several offices, and are willing to travel across the Lower Mainland and throughout the Province. We also have reasonable fees and are willing to discuss flat rates.
We also accept credit cards.
Korean is spoken in the office.
West Coast ADR Law Group
Members of our team have been instrumental in helping the community in many ways, including:
- Legal profession: We regularly provide ADR education and training for lawyers and paralegals including with the Continuing Legal Education Society Of BC, and advocate for the expansion of ADR in family law.
- Law students: Carol has taught at UBC and Thompson Rivers University Law School, as well as Professional Legal Training for Articled Students.
- Education: Our lawyers, mediators and arbitrators also provide workshops to the general public for a number of topics, including family law, family violence and the ADR process.
- Charity: We are involved in a number of charitable causes, including animal protection, services for at-risk children, and research and awareness for breast cancer.
If you are experiencing family breakdown, contact us at 604-531-9494 or fill out our online form to set up an appointment. Learn more about alternative dispute resolution and family law.