Sarah Hyejung Jo , B.A., LL.B.
Sarah’s practice consists of primarily family law. She represents her clients in separations and family restructuring, and works to protect their interests related to children, support and property issues.
Sarah takes pride in being an advocate for her clients, and has achieved success before both the BC Provincial Court and the Supreme Court of British Columbia. Sarah is also experienced in assisting families achieve settlements outside of Court. She has successfully represented her clients in out-of-court negotiations and mediated settlements, and regularly assists clients in drafting separation and cohabitation/marriage agreements.
Sarah is both a certified family law mediator and a collaborative law lawyer. Above all, Sarah believes in effective and tailored solutions to family disputes. As a mediator, she takes pride in being able to facilitate negotiations towards a mutually beneficial conclusion for the families.
Divorce and separation impact families. Sarah understands that the stress can be overwhelming as parents struggle to take care of the emotional and financial needs of the children and themselves. Sarah is committed to help families in resolving their disputes and finding a positive result.
Sarah was born and raised in South Korea, and moved to Vancouver in her teens. She speaks fluent Korean and is an active member in the Korean community in Metro Vancouver. Sarah understands that culture is a very important factor in family disputes. Her past experiences as an immigrant, and her continued efforts with immigrant communities gives her unique insight into assisting families of diverse backgrounds.
In her leisure time, Sarah likes to spend time with her friends and her husband and daughter. She is also an active congregant of her church in Surrey.
Bar Admissions and Professional Certifications
- British Columbia Bar Admission, 2013
- Family Law Mediator accredited by the Law Society of British Columbia, 2016
- Collaborative Law Certificate, 2017
- LLB, University of Windsor Faculty of Law, 2012
- Juris Doctor, University of Detroit Mercy Faculty of Law, 2012
- Bachelor of Arts, University of British Columbia, 2009
Selected Community Engagement
- Speaker at various community events and senior forum sponsored by SUCCESS, 2015
- Speaker at Burnaby Multicultural Society, 2014
Selected Memberships and Associations
- Member of Collaborative Family Law Group serving the Lower Mainland
- Member of Canadian Bar Association
- Member of Korean Canadian Bar Association